[Ask] Call for Articles for Race and Racism Encyclopedia

Douglas Hume humed1 at nku.edu
Thu Sep 6 09:27:15 EDT 2012

From: Southern Sociological Society Listserv [mailto:SSSNET at listserv.vt.edu<mailto:SSSNET at listserv.vt.edu>] On Behalf Of J. Slade Lellock
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:19 AM
To: SSSNET at listserv.vt.edu<mailto:SSSNET at listserv.vt.edu>
Subject: [SSSNET] Call for Articles for Race and Racism Encyclopedia

Dear Colleagues,

We (Charles A. Gallagher and Cameron Lippard) would like to invite you or scholars you might recommend to consider contributing short articles for a four-volume encyclopedia tentatively titled: Race and Racism in The United States: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia.

As the general editors of this Greenwood Press project, we hope to attract cutting-edge entries that defines and explains important concepts, theories, and historical events concerning race and racism in the United States. This encyclopedia will be marketed and sold to universities, colleges and public libraries throughout the United States. It will also be available to high schools through both library acquisition and online access. The encyclopedia promises to be one of the most inclusive collections of entries focusing on race and racism ever printed. Each article will be signed by the author and offers race scholars, particularly graduate students and junior scholars, the opportunity to expand their publication records.

While we will provide each contributor with more specific instructions, each contributor will be responsible in writing about five thematically-organized articles that are approximately 800 words in length (see the attached list of bundles). The contributor can also suggest “sidebar” entries such as current events or websites that highlight important points made in the articles. We would like to have all submissions by December 31, 2012, which will lead to a 2013 publication date. A modest honorarium will be granted upon completion of the entries.

If you are interested or know of some advanced graduate students or newly-minted Ph.Ds who would be interested in this project, please have them contact Cameron Lippard (lippardcd at appstate.edu<mailto:lippardcd at appstate.edu>) for further information. Thank you for your time and we hope to work with you in the future!

Sincerely,

Charles A. Gallagher and Cameron Lippard