[ASK] Anthropology's influence on the world.

Sharlotte Neely NEELYS at nku.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:52:55 EST 2016

Hi, to all students, alumni, faculty, staff, & friends of NKU Anthropology,

Is anthropology taking over the world in its influence?  Well, here's another example...

Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai is the current President of Afghanistan, elected in September 2014. An anthropologist by education, he previously served as chancellor of Kabul University.  In March of 2015 he met with President Barack Obama in Washington, DC.

President Obama said, "I'd note that, as many of you know, President Ghani is, by training, an anthropologist -- as was my mother.  It's been said [by Ruth Benedict] that, 'The purpose of anthropology is to make the world safe for human differences.'  Afghanistan, and our world, is marked by incredible diversity and differences of history, and culture and faiths.  But I believe that the progress that we've made on this visit will advance the goal for which so many of your citizens, Mr. President, have sacrificed over the years -- the goal of making our two countries, and the world, safer."

Thanks,

Sharlotte

Sharlotte Neely, Ph.D.

Professor of Anthropology