[SAS] SASci at SfAA: recap and student prizes

Stephen Chrisomalis chrisomalis at wayne.edu
Mon Apr 3 14:27:07 EDT 2017

Dear SAS/SASci members,

It was great to see folks at the conference in Santa Fe this past week.   We had 44 papers presented across 11 panels and 4 great workshops sponsored by the Society.

Our student prize winners were:

Student Paper Prize

Rachel Shah (Durham)

Are Schooling and Indigenous Education Incompatible?

Student Travel Award

Grace East (Virginia)

Permutations Across the Sagittal Axis: A Comparative Look at Perspectives in Space, Time, and Gesture in Aymara and Hausa

Student Travel Award

Michael Thomas (Wayne State)

Apparitions, Automata, and the Blob: Sketching a Cognitive Bestiary of Engineering

Looking forward to seeing our SAS members at the upcoming AAA meetings in Washington (remember the 04/14 deadline for paper, poster, and panel submissions!)  as well as next year's spring meeting in conjunction with SfAA in Philadelphia.

Thanks to Doug Hume and Eric Jones who were the co-organizers of the spring meeting along with me!

Cheers,

Stephen Chrisomalis
Associate Professor and Graduate Director
Dept. of Anthropology
Wayne State University
3019 FAB, 656 W. Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202