[SAS] Second Call for Papers: 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association

Douglas Hume humed1 at nku.edu
Sun Apr 9 11:56:26 EDT 2017

*Second Call for Papers: 2017 Annual Meeting of the American
Anthropological Association*

Posted on March 22, 2017, by *Murray J Leaf*

The Society for Anthropological Sciences (SAS / SASci) will be
participating in the Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological
Association from* November 29 – December 3, 2017,* in Washiington, D. C.
SAS/SASci events will include our annual Executive Board Meeting, our
Business Meeting, and as many scholarly presentations as we can offer.

As both an independent scholarly organization (SASci) and a section of the
American Anthropological Association (SAS), SAS/SASci promotes the
scientific understanding of humanity through comparative, cognitive,
empirically-grounded, and evolutionary approaches. We seek to fulfill the
historic mission of anthropology to describe and explain the range of
variation in human biology, society, and culture across time and space.  This
does not mean that we are dedicated to any one view of what this scientific
understanding is; it means we want to provide a place to compare one idea
to another.

We invite scholars from any subdiscipline of anthropology, or from allied
social sciences, to submit proposals for papers, posters, sessions or
roundtables on any topic in anthropological science, broadly
conceived.  Please distribute this call for papers widely to your
colleagues.  You can join the effort by selecting the Society for
Anthropological Sciences to review your submissions.

Especially, if you organized or were on a panel at the SfAA meetings,
consider offering it again at the AAA.  The format may be more constrained,
but you could reach a wider slice of the field.

We also encourage students, practitioners, and new members of the Society.
There are a number of student prizes available for SAS/SASci members who
are current undergraduate and graduate students.   All participants must be
members of SAS/SASci either by having an up-to-date membership through AAA
or by registering in SaSci for $10 at our website,
http://sas.anthroniche.com.

Please remember that the AAA requires *all participants* to submit
abstracts and proposals online using the new submission portal
<http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1695&navItemNumber=696>
.

*Panels organized or proposed so far that we know of are:*

·        Describing Collective Action and cooperation (Or collectivising
action?) Wesley Allan-Arave (allenara at unm.edu) will organize it. Leaf
should contact Psychological Anthropology.

·        Language culture and Cognition Steve Chrisomalis is organizing it.

·        Memorial panel honoring Roy D’Andrade.  Doug Hume has organized it
as an invited session.

*Other possibilities discussed at the November 2016 Business meeting were:*

·        Anthropology and IRBs in universities

·        Making ideas objective

·        The way cultural models structure agreement on themselves

·        Anthropologists in Development

·        Anthropologists in Government

·        Repeated studies—stepping into the same river twice

·        Simulation as prediction (may be roundtables)

Registration is through the AAA website, and normally requires up to date
AAA membership.  (Some exceptions can be applied for).  Panels are
scheduled for one hour and forty-five minutes.  In practice, they usually
allow 15 minutes per presentation, but sometimes we can arrange 20 minutes.
In principle, it is up to us.   The AAA encourages a wide variety of
sesssion types.  The description is here
<http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=2040>.
Organizers
have one hour forty-five minutes to work with.  While the usual time
allowed for papers is fifteen minutes, flexibility is possible.

*PARTICIPATION RULES AND POLICIES* are given in the  Annual Meeting
Participation
Rules and Policies
<http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=2017>.
Note that meeting participation is limited to AAA members (with some
exceptions). Also note the One-Plus-One rule: participants may only: (1)
present one paper/poster, or serve as a participant on a roundtable or
installation and (2) accept no more than one discussant role elsewhere on
the program. An individual may serve as organizer or chair of an unlimited
number of sessions. This rule is strictly enforced by the AAA Program
Committee.

It is not necessary to be a SAS/SASci member to select SAS to review your
submission.

*DATES*: February 17th marked the opening for abstract submissions for all
proposal types. *The deadline for all submissions to the AAA website is 5PM
EDT on April 14, 2017.*

If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me or one of the
other members of the program committee by email:

*Murray Leaf (Meeting Program Chair) **mjleaf at utdallas.edu*
<http://mjleaf@utdallas.edu>

*Stephen Chrisomalis **chrisomalis at wayne.edu* <chrisomalis at wayne.edu>

*Douglas Hume  **humed1 at nku.edu* <humed1 at nku.edu>